Thread: VLOOKUP produces undesired results

VLOOKUP produces undesired results

Hello,

I have created an excel file to calculate position sizes for my trading activities with a broker.
    The file has several sheets as follows:
    Sheet 1: Calculation Sheet: Contains the formulas for the position size calculation divided in four sections, Forex position, Futures position, Spot Metals position and Shares position.
    Sheet 2: Forex Sheet: Contains data related to the instruments that the broker offers under the category - forex i.e. currency pairs.
    Sheet 3: Futures Sheet: Contains data related to the instruments that the broker offers under the category - futures i.e. futures contracts with base assets, indeces and commodities.
    Sheet 4: Spot Metals Sheet: Contains data related to the instruments that the broker offers under the category - spot metals i.e. gold and silver.
    Sheet 5: FX Rates: The sheet is linked to a web page and download the exchange rates for several currencies.

In the calculation sheet, I've created several drop down menus, one for selecting the accounts base currency and one for each instrument category containing the respective instruments. Except for the first drop down menu, the contents of which hard typed in a list all others derive their contents from a cell range. Thus the drop down menu for forex instruments derives its contents from (the first column of) the Forex Sheet, for futures instruments derives the its contents from the Futures Sheet and so on.

I use VLOOKUP for two purposes, one is for deriving the exchange rate of USD against the selected base currency of the account and the other is for deriving the decimal points for every instrument's price at which the broker gives precision. The number of decimal points is located at the last column of the respective sheet (Forex, Futures, Spot Metals and Shares).

The problem is that in the sheet for calculations at the part that corresponds to the futures position category, VLOOKUP returns wrong results!!!
    Take a look at the cell E28.

Please take also under consideration the I get wrong results from MS Office 2010 (the file being .xls or .xlsx), from LibreOffice Calc (the file being .ods), but when I upload the .xls file to Google Spreadsheets I get the correct results!!!

file link: http://www.filedropper.com/fxpropositioncalculator

I hate to reply to on my own threads... but it turns out that I didn't add the optional range_lookup parameter to my vlookup formulas... adding ,FALSE to all of them corrected the issue!