Thread: Creating drop-down function in excel

Creating drop-down function in excel

Hi

I have an excel dilemma. I have created an excel sheet which compares different monthly amounts. In the attached excel file, the blue box now compares April to March.
    Is it possible to create a drop-down function where you can choose which month you want to compare?

Thank you!

Dilemma 5.xlsx

Create a data validation say in K4 having the different month names. Use this in J5 and drag down

=IFERROR(IF(1+$K$2<G5/INDEX($D5:$G5,MATCH($K$4,$D$4:$G$4,0)),(G5/INDEX($D5:$G5,MATCH($K$4,$D$4:$G$4,0)))-1,"OK"),"OK")
    A dream is not something you see when you are asleep, but something you strive for when you are awake.

It's usually a bad idea to say that something can't be done.

The difference between dream and aim, is that one requires soundless sleep to see and the other requires sleepless efforts to achieve

Join us at Facebook

Thanks! Is it possible to make it even more advanced? I want to be able to compare all the months that I want to choose, for example february to january. Not always use April, if you know what I mean?

thank you!

When you say compare all months, what exactly do you mean? You have to keep one month as the base, right? The other month you can choose using a drop-down in K4. So if it's the drop-down you want, then just use Data Validation as I mentioned above. If it's something else you are looking for, then can you explain a bit more, or post a sample file that can explain what you are trying to say.
    A dream is not something you see when you are asleep, but something you strive for when you are awake.

It's usually a bad idea to say that something can't be done.

The difference between dream and aim, is that one requires soundless sleep to see and the other requires sleepless efforts to achieve

Join us at Facebook

So I have to keep one month as the base? It is possible to have a system where you can easily change the base month? for example I want to compare february and january, as well as this month to last. I want to have system that is as automatically as possible.

Please see the attached file.:
    If I am gonna insert the numbers for May month, I then want May to be the base. So, either have a system where you can choose which month that is the base OR have a system where the last month is always the base.

Was that understandable?

Thank you!

Dilemma 5.xlsx