Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Copy to Summarise data based on 2 criteria: User ID and gaps in continuous day segments for same user

Fuhrer, Vierte Reich DocAElstein's Avatar
    Hello
    We may have a few problems.

First Problem: Dates in Excel.
    Dates in Excel are always a big problem, especially when sharing workbooks. Excel is very bad at determining the correct date from written and given data.
    We must overcome this problem first, or else we will be wasting our time because Excel will randomly give the wrong dates to different people and so everything will get in a confusing mess: Everyone will always get incorrect results. ( I am probably the only person in the whole world that understands fully all the problems in Excel with dates. So you are very lucky that I am helping you ! )

In order to make any progress we must be sure that we see the same dates. Usually we will see different dates. Usually everyone will see different dates when looking at the same shared workbook. Excel is useless with dates. We must do extra work to make sure we see the same dates.

Please do all the following if you want me to help further:

Give me another workbook similar to your last, with both
    Worksheet Data
    , and
    Worksheet Results
    So it can be the last workbook you gave me. ( Use the workbook that I return to you, Book8_11.xls

but also extra things I need from you:

_1) in the Data worksheet I need to see 2 extra helper columns. ( These are just for me to help you, - later they can be deleted ).
    _ 1a) In column H I want to see the same date that is in column C, but I want to see the month written in words. Similar to this: https://i.postimg.cc/KjgcyXH1/Month-in-Words.jpg Month in Words.JPG
    You write this in please. Please use the English shortened words for month, ( Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec )
    _ 1b) In the workbook that I am returning to you, Book8_11.xls , run the macro Sub GetFuckingValue2Dates()
    ( That macro should put some numbers in column G like this: https://i.postimg.cc/nzWV5V08/Dates-in-Value2.jpg Dates in Value2.JPG )

_2) When you have finished _1), ( writing in some dates in words, and ruinning the macro), make me a screenshot to show exactly what you see in worksheet Data
    _2a) Return me the workbook, Book8_11.xls
    _2b) Give/ show me the screenshot.

So
    _1) You have 3 things to do for me: write in manually in words some dates; run a macro; make a screenshot
    _2) You have 2 things to give me when you are finished doing those things for me: a workbook; and a picture to show me what you see in worksheet Data

Make sure you give me the correct information – take your time – I am busy now for all today, and cannot help again until tomorrow

Alan

Book8_11.xls https://app.box.com/s/4a97tul85xacufys77jzbjs3i422eahy
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by DocAElstein; 12-09-2022 at 04:34 PM.
    ….If you are my competitor, I will try all I can to beat you. But if I do, I will not belittle you. I will Salute you, because without you, I am nothing.
    If you are my enemy, we will try to kick the fucking shit out of you…..
    Winston Churchill, 1939
    Save your Forum..._
    _...KILL A MODERATOR!!

Please find attached required detail

https://www.youtube.com/@alanelston2330/featured
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DocAElstein; 09-13-2023 at 11:10 AM.
    Somthing is better than nothing

Hello
    Thanks for the file and screenshot.
    ( You seem to have changed the format of column C ? I am not sure why you did that? It can be a bit confusing and irritating to someone trying to help you when you change things for no apparent reason. Perhaps you did not understand fully what I was asking for. I did not ask you to change anything in column C. So I am a bit confused. )

So we have learnt nothing about the date issue, because you changed the format in column C.

Question on you
    Why did you change the format in column C?

You are continuing to make it very difficult to help you.

But let us try to move on……

You have given these 3 results for the Number 12345

12345 22 3-Jan-22 4-Jan-22
    12345 22 6-Jan-22 7-Jan-22
    12345 22 2-Apr-22 4-Apr-22

Questions for you to answer please

_(i) Why is this not the correct result?
    12345 22 3-Jan-22 4-Apr-22

_(ii) Why is this not the correct result?
    12345 22 3-Jan-22 7-Jan-22
    12345 22 2-Apr-22 4-Apr-22

_(iii) Why is this not the correct result?
    12345 22 3-Jan-22 4-Jan-22
    12345 22 6-Jan-22 4-Apr-22

Is the answer:- that there is a break in days / missing days
    4-Jan-22 ……… 6-Jan-22
    7-Jan-22 …………………………… 2-Apr-22

Is the criteria for different rows in the results 2 things:
    _a) Different Number
    and also
    _b) For the same number, if there is a break in days - in other words, for a valid Start date and End date pair in the results, there must be consecutive days in the rows in column C Data to which those Start date and End date pair refer.

Alan
    Last edited by DocAElstein; 12-10-2022 at 10:48 AM.
    ….If you are my competitor, I will try all I can to beat you. But if I do, I will not belittle you. I will Salute you, because without you, I am nothing.
    Winston Churchill, 1939
    Save your Forum..._
    _...KILL A MODERATOR!!

Is the answer:- that there is a break in days / missing days
    4-Jan-22 ……… 6-Jan-22
    7-Jan-22 …………………………… 2-Apr-22

Is the criteria for different rows in the results 2 things:
    _a) Different Number
    and also
    _b) For the same number, if there is a break in days - in other words, for a valid Start date and End date pair in the results, there must be consecutive days in the rows in column C Data to which those Start date and End date pair refer.

Yes you are right regarding to above all answers
    Last edited by DocAElstein; 12-10-2022 at 02:44 PM.

Hello
    OK thanks for the extra info/ confirmation.
    ( I think the biggest problem is the communication between us. You maybe have difficulty with the English language. It must be very difficult for you as a Pakistani. I can speak none of your language. )

OK, let me try to move on, …..
    I will assume because of your comments at mrexcel ( https://www.mrexcel.com/board/thread...2#post-5986415 ) that you want date format of mm/dd/yyyy
    ( I will assume you changed the date format in column C in Copy of Book8_11.xls because you did not understand fully what I was asking you to do, because of the communication problem between us ).
    I will try to make the coding reduce the chances of problems in dates when sharing the workbook

Here is a first attempt. If you need more help from me you will need to wait a couple of days.

Data
    Row\Col A B C
    1 Numbers ID Date
    2 12345 22 01/03/2022
    3 12345 22 01/03/2022
    4 12345 22 01/03/2022
    5 12345 22 01/03/2022
    6 12345 22 01/04/2022
    7 12345 22 01/06/2022
    8 12345 22 01/06/2022
    9 12345 22 01/07/2022
    10 12345 22 04/02/2022
    11 12345 22 04/02/2022
    12 12345 22 04/02/2022
    13 12345 22 04/03/2022
    14 12345 22 04/03/2022
    15 12345 22 04/04/2022
    16 23456 22 01/03/2022
    17 23456 22 01/03/2022
    18 23456 22 01/03/2022
    19 23456 22 01/04/2022
    20 23456 22 01/04/2022
    Worksheet: Data

Results
    Row\Col A B C D
    1 Number ID Start Date End Date
    2 12345 22 01/03/2022 01/04/2022
    3 12345 22 01/06/2022 01/07/2022
    4 12345 22 04/02/2022 04/04/2022
    5 23456 22 01/03/2022 01/04/2022
    Worksheet: Required Result

Coding
    Code:
    Sub Attempt1() '  https://excelfox.com/forum/showthread.php/2836-Data-Copy?p=19596&viewfull=1#post19596    https://excelfox.com/forum/showthread.php/2836-Data-Copy/page2#post19599
    ' Worksheets data info
    Dim wsDta As Worksheet: Set wsDta = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets.Item("Data")
    Dim Lr1 As Long: Let Lr1 = wsDta.Range("C" & wsDta.Rows.Count & "").End(xlUp).Row
     Let wsDta.Range("C2:C" & Lr1 & "").NumberFormat = "mm\/dd\/yyyy" ' "mm/dd/yyyy"   https://www.mrexcel.com/board/threads/copy-id-data-based-on-converting-date-series-into-start-date-and-end-date.1223851/page-2#post-5986415      '  This may overcomne soime problems
    Dim wsRes As Worksheet: Set wsRes = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets.Item("Required Result")

Dim arrIn() As Variant: Let arrIn() = wsDta.Range("A2:D" & Lr1 + 1 & "").Value2 '   Value2 is important in this case to get consistant date infomation    '    +1    makes  Do While easier to stop at the end

' First info for Number, ID, and Start Date
    Dim Cnt As Long: Let Cnt = 1
    Dim StrDt As Double: Let StrDt = arrIn(Cnt, 3)
    Dim Nmbr As Long: Let Nmbr = arrIn(Cnt, 1)
    Dim ID As Long: Let ID = arrIn(Cnt, 2)
        Do While arrIn(Cnt, 1) <> "" ' This will stop us when we go above the data range
            Do While (Int(arrIn(Cnt + 1, 3)) = Int(arrIn(Cnt, 3)) Or Int(arrIn(Cnt + 1, 3)) = Int(arrIn(Cnt, 3)) + 1) And arrIn(Cnt, 1) = arrIn(Cnt + 1, 1) ' This effectively stops us when the criteria for the data in multiple rows belonging in a single row in  Results  no longer is met ------------------------
             Let Cnt = Cnt + 1
            Loop   '                                                                                --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Dim StpDt As Double: Let StpDt = (arrIn(Cnt, 3)) ' we have left a single or multiple set of rows for the output, so we know the End Date
        Dim strClp As String
         Let strClp = strClp & Nmbr & vbTab & ID & vbTab & StrDt & vbTab & StpDt & vbCr & vbLf ' A single line in results in a format that the clipboard holds for an Excel row
        ' Its time now to move on to the next data set required for  Results
         Let Cnt = Cnt + 1
         Let StrDt = arrIn(Cnt, 3): Let Nmbr = arrIn(Cnt, 1): Let ID = arrIn(Cnt, 2) ' Next info for Number, ID, and Start Date
        Loop
    ' put full  Results  string of data into clipboard, and paste out
    Dim objDataObject As Object: Set objDataObject = GetObject("New:{1C3B4210-F441-11CE-B9EA-00AA006B1A69}") '    http://web.archive.org/web/20200124185244/http://excelmatters.com/2013/10/04/late-bound-msforms-dataobject/                      get text data from the clipboard or from the interpretaion representation of it - the Office thing that might be called the Office clipboard                      http://www.eileenslounge.com/posting.php?mode=edit&f=27&p=301028
     objDataObject.SetText strClp
     objDataObject.PutInClipboard
     wsRes.Paste Destination:=wsRes.Range("A2")

' attempt to get correct output date format
    Dim Lr2 As Long: Let Lr2 = wsRes.Range("A" & wsRes.Rows.Count & "").End(xlUp).Row
     Let wsRes.Range("C2:D" & Lr2 & "").NumberFormat = "mm\/dd\/yyyy"
    End Sub

Alan
    Last edited by DocAElstein; 12-10-2022 at 03:49 PM.
    Winston Churchill, 1939
    Save your Forum..._
    _...KILL A MODERATOR!!

Alan, it is amazing, you really did a great job.
    Thank you so much for working and time you spent for it I really appreciate this.
    However these code are taking a long time when I run this macro on 5.5 lacs rows

Hi
    Quote Originally Posted by ayazgreat View Post
    … 5.5 lacs rows
    …Lacs?? I do not recognise this word. Internet tells me that possibly lacs or lakh is Indian and/ or Pakistani for 100000? Is that correct?
    So 5.5 lacs rows is like 550000 – a bit over half a million ?
    It is interesting feedback for me to know that the macro works with such large row numbers. ( I have no practical experience with these things: Currently my Computer forum work is just a part time Hobby )

I was surprised that my code works with such high numbers of rows.

…these code are taking a long time
    I cannot really make any useful comment on the speed performance. I don’t have enough practical experience using my coding with real large data.

Just for learning purposes and info:
    The coding I did for you uses the Clipboard in a very unusual and unconventional way. I have been doing this for a few months. Maybe someone somewhere did it before, but so far I have never seen anyone else do anything like it. It is possibly it is new stuff that nobody ever did before. Or maybe not. I am not sure. But I can certainly say that it is not usual or typical to do coding like this.
    Basically what the coding does in Sub Attempt1() is
    the following: To explain / summarise Sub Attempt1()
    (Unconventional use of the clipboard)
    It basically puts all the data in a VBA array. It works on that data from the array within VBA. (This is typical practice and is generally regarded as more efficient that working with the data row by row, from the worksheet)
    It loops once through the data. – That is all normal and conventional.

It builds up a single text string for the output, which is put in the clipboard and then pasted out. - This is the unusual stuff

Here is a couple of more codings that you might like to try

Sub Conventional()

This has one major difference to Sub Attempt1()
    It does not build up a long string to put in the clipboard and paste out. It does not use the clipboard.
    Instead it pastes out each result line as it goes along in the loop.
    This coding is much more typical and usual.
    It is what most people would do
    Code:
    Sub Conventional() '  https://excelfox.com/forum/showthread.php/2836-Data-Copy?p=19600#post19600
    On Error GoTo Bed
     Let Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Dim arrIn() As Variant: Let arrIn() = Worksheets("Data").Range("A2:D" & Worksheets("Data").Range("C" & Rows.Count & "").End(xlUp).Row + 1 & "").Value2 '
    Dim wsRes As Worksheet: Set wsRes = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets.Item("Required Result")
    ' First info for Start Date
        Do While arrIn(Cnt, 1) <> "" ' This will stop us when we go above the data range
            Do While (Int(arrIn(Cnt + 1, 3)) = Int(arrIn(Cnt, 3)) Or Int(arrIn(Cnt + 1, 3)) = Int(arrIn(Cnt, 3)) + 1) And arrIn(Cnt, 1) = arrIn(Cnt + 1, 1) ' This effectively stops us when the criteria for the data in multiple rows belonging in a single row in  Results  no longer is met ------------------------
             Let Cnt = Cnt + 1
            Loop   '                                                                                --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
         Let wsRes.Range("A" & wsRes.Range("A" & Rows.Count & "").End(xlUp).Row + 1 & ":D" & wsRes.Range("A" & Rows.Count & "").End(xlUp).Row + 1 & "").Value = Array(arrIn(Cnt, 1), arrIn(Cnt, 2), StrDt, (arrIn(Cnt, 3)))
         Let Cnt = Cnt + 1
         Let StrDt = arrIn(Cnt, 3) ' Next info for Start Date
        Loop
    Bed:
     Let Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    End Sub

Sub Attempt1_Simplified()
    This is the same basic coding as Sub Attempt1()
    It is just simplified slightly. ( I have also omitted the extra stuff to help always get correct date format )
    This sort of simplification you could do, or may have already considered, yourself.
    ( Initially when I give coding help in forums, I attempt to help in learning and so have some extra bits to aid clarity and learning.

Code:
    Sub Attempt1_Simplified() '  https://excelfox.com/forum/showthread.php/2836-Data-Copy?p=19600#post19600

Dim arrIn() As Variant: Let arrIn() = Worksheets("Data").Range("A2:D" & Worksheets("Data").Range("C" & Rows.Count & "").End(xlUp).Row + 1 & "").Value2 '

' First info for Start Date
             Let Cnt = Cnt + 1
        Dim strClp As String
         Let strClp = strClp & arrIn(Cnt, 1) & vbTab & arrIn(Cnt, 2) & vbTab & StrDt & vbTab & (arrIn(Cnt, 3)) & vbCr & vbLf ' A single line in results in a format that the clipboard holds for an Excel row
         Let Cnt = Cnt + 1
         Let StrDt = arrIn(Cnt, 3) ' Next info for Start Date
        Loop

' put full  Results  string of data into clipboard, and paste out
        With GetObject("New:{1C3B4210-F441-11CE-B9EA-00AA006B1A69}") '    http://web.archive.org/web/20200124185244/http://excelmatters.com/2013/10/04/late-bound-msforms-dataobject/                      get text data from the clipboard or from the interpretaion representation of it - the Office thing that might be called the Office clipboard                      http://www.eileenslounge.com/posting.php?mode=edit&f=27&p=301028
         .SetText strClp
         .PutInClipboard
        End With

Worksheets("Required Result").Paste Destination:=Worksheets("Required Result").Range("A2")

End Sub

Alan
    Last edited by DocAElstein; 12-12-2022 at 03:52 PM.
    Winston Churchill, 1939
    Save your Forum..._
    _...KILL A MODERATOR!!

Alan Thanks so much explaining and guiding me.

It would have been interesting if you had any feedback to any comparison in the performance of the conventional coding and the clipboard way coding

Alan Thanks so much explaining and guiding me.
    I appreciate you thanking me, but I expect I may be wasting my time as you understand close to no English.

This might explain why no one ever understands what you want: As you can’t explain it, you don’t bother to try….
    Unless you improve all your explanations considerably, then I think you will continue to get no help.
    Winston Churchill, 1939
    Save your Forum..._
    _...KILL A MODERATOR!!