Thread: Tree-Like Horizontal Hierarchical List in Excel

Tree-Like Horizontal Hierarchical List in Excel

Is it possible to create tree-like hierarchical structure in excel horizontally??

For example,
    If I click on cell, say C5, a popup list appear containing some names like Fruits, Vegetables and Vitamins.
    All these three names contain arrow against it such that clicking or hovering on these arrows open a new popup list.
    For example, On hovering Fruits arrow, the corresponding list will be opened containing names like Mango, Banana, Grapes etc.
    And finally clicking on the name, say Banana, Banana would appear in the cell C5.

(Plese see the attachment for just an idea what I want to say)Annotation 2020-08-18 155748.jpg

Fuhrer, Vierte Reich DocAElstein's Avatar
    Hi
    I do not think that there is any built in way to do this. I do not think there is any simple way to do this.
    I think it could be done with a use of UserForms.
    It would be a fairly long and complicated set of codlings behind a number of UserForms.
    I do not think it would be too difficult for someone experienced in UserForms to do, but it would take them some time.
    I don’t think anyone would be prepared to do this for you at a free help forum.

I personally cannot even give you a simplified workbook as a start point because my experience in UserForms is very small.

Possibly someone with a lot of experience with UserForms may be prepared to give you a simplified example, or , if you are lucky, someone may have already done something like this, and will pass you on a file.

The nearest that I have done to this is a something with a UserForm that works similarly to intellisense:
    In this application of mine, in a UserForm you can start typing a word and then instantly a drop down list comes up with options from a list. The number of options reduce as you type more characters.
    That is something different to what you are asking for, but it does demonstrate that you can arrange almost anything to be done using UserForms. This is because UserForms in VBA is similar to the Forms in Visual Basic. The programming that is Forms in Visual Basic was for many years the standard coding and workings behind many things and final applications as used and seen by the final user in Microsoft Windows.
    The entire Excel spreadsheet itself could be thought of , crudely , in a very simplified sense, as a very complicated set of VBA UserForms or Visual Basic Forms.

That will all not be an immediate help, but may help put things into perspective.

Alan

( Edit, P.S:- Feel free to cross post your question elsewhere, but as always, please remember to respect any forum rules: This will usually mean just telling everyone, ( preferably by including a URL link ) , of everywhere else that you have posted.
    I expect if you post at excelforum.com and mrexcel.com , then you will catch 95% of the Excel Expert audience )
    Last edited by DocAElstein; 08-21-2020 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Edit P.S.
    ….If you are my competitor, I will try all I can to beat you. But if I do, I will not belittle you. I will Salute you, because without you, I am nothing.
    If you are my enemy, we will try to kick the fucking shit out of you…..
    Winston Churchill, 1939
    Save your Forum..._
    _...KILL A MODERATOR!!

Thank you for the insight!

I've found an alternative way to fulfill my needs. Creating searchable and dependable drop down list may help, at least, to some extent. It looks a little bit complicated, but it seems the nearest easy solution, as I think. These site may be helpful.
    https://www.xelplus.com/searchable-drop-down-list/
    https://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html

Fuhrer, Vierte Reich DocAElstein's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anshu View Post
    ...I've found an alternative way to fulfill my needs. Creating searchable and dependable drop down list may help, at least, to some extent. ........... it seems the nearest easy solution, as I think. .......
    https://www.xelplus.com/searchable-drop-down-list/
    https://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html
    Thanks for the follow up.
    One small point to note: If I am not mistaken, that first reference is relying on the use of Dynamic Arrays. Dynamic Arrays are only available in newer Excel versions. If you develop something relying on Dynamic Arrays, then likely it will not work on earlier Excel versions

My personal feeling is that a lot of people will be using the earlier versions Of Excel well into the future. I have also seen many people going back to using earlier versions as main people are coming to the conclusion that newer versions introduce too many problems/ bugs that don’t offset any new features.
    In fact most new features seem to be liked just by a minority of Microsoft Lovers, and IMO Microsoft have lost touch with their wider customer base.
    So I would be wary of doing anything that only works in newer versions

I personally develop all my stuff , where possible in Excel 2003, and only then after try them in the versions 2007 – 2013, which are the versions I use the most.
    I mostly use 2007 and 2010. I rarely use anything higher
    Alan
    ….If you are my competitor, I will try all I can to beat you. But if I do, I will not belittle you. I will Salute you, because without you, I am nothing.
    If you are my enemy, we will try to kick the fucking shit out of you…..
    Winston Churchill, 1939
    Save your Forum..._
    _...KILL A MODERATOR!!