Thread: Excel text conversion formula question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Excel text conversion formula question

Hi All! I own a business and find myself facing a VERY critical project that needs to get done ASAP! Basically I have a column in excel (2016 version) that reads State Names, and Territory Names that need to be converted into State/ Territory Abbreviations.

Example:

Column A Column B
    Arizona, Michigan > I need to read: AZ, MI
    U.S. Northeast > I need to read: NJ, NY, PA

How can I write a function or use an add-in (assuming these are correct to consider?) to make this conversion possible!? It's really critical to get this correct so my business can continue to grow! I will really appreciate your input and advice on this matter!

a VERY critical project that needs to get done ASAP
    In that case: hire a software firm,.

Quote Originally Posted by snb View Post
    In that case: hire a software firm,.
    I can manage most of the project- I am just reaching the bottleneck for converting this one text column. Seems there should be a fairly simple process for performing this?

If it's urgent, if it's crucial don't rely on a forum of volunteers: act professionally.

Fuhrer, Vierte Reich DocAElstein's Avatar
    Hi Spencerb819,
    Welcome to ExcelFox
    Another point: In a Forum like this some of the people who help , like me, are not necessarily familiar with the various formats of the State/ Territory Abbreviations.
    It might be quite easy to achieve what you want , I do not know because I do not have access to the relevant information. If I googled for a few hours I might find for example , a table listing all the state abbreviations.
    To help get help , the thing would be to do the following:
    Get some sample data together. ( Desensitize it, - make it up if you like ).
    Restrict it to maybe about 40 rows. But try to pick data that tests as many typical scenarios as possible.
    Give us a Before , and an After. The After should look just as you want a Formula or code to give you based on the data in the Before . Don't use a Image screenshot, other than to support the data you give us in another way. That other way is probably in this Forum through uploading a Workbook. ( You could also try the Tools indicated below in my signature, - they produce a screen shot in the Post which we can copy to a spreadsheet. )
    And see if you can find a definitive list somewhere in the internet of all the List of U.S. state abbreviations.. .. the first thing I googled .. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._abbreviations ... you could copy from .. but I expect you can find a better one if you look around...

On the face of it , it doesn't sound like it should be too difficult.

Alan
    ….If you are my competitor, I will try all I can to beat you. But if I do, I will not belittle you. I will Salute you, because without you, I am nothing.
    If you are my enemy, we will try to kick the fucking shit out of you…..
    Winston Churchill, 1939
    Save your Forum..._
    _...KILL A MODERATOR!!