Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Appendix Thread 2. ( Codes for other Threads, HTML Tables, etc.)

Fuhrer, Vierte Reich DocAElstein's Avatar

"What’s in a String"- VBA break down Loop through character contents of a string

Rotines for this excelfox Thread
    http://www.excelfox.com/forum/showth...0943#post10943

This is part 1 of the coding. The second part is in the next post. The second part must be copied directly under this part in the same code module

Code:
    Option Explicit           '
    Option Compare Binary     '     https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/dotnet/visual-basic/language-reference/statements/option-compare-statement

Sub TestWtchaGot()
    ' In the practice we would likely have our string obtained from some method and would have it held in some string variable
    Dim strTest As String   '                             "Pointer" to a "Blue Print" (or Form, Questionnaire not yet filled in, a template etc.)"Pigeon Hole" in Memory, sufficient in construction to house a piece of Paper with code text giving the relevant information for the particular Variable Type. VBA is sent to it when it passes it. In a Routine it may be given a particular “Value”, or (“Values” for Objects). There instructions say then how to do that and handle(store) that(those). At Dim the created Paper is like a Blue Print that has some empty spaces not yet filled in. A String is a bit tricky. The Blue Print code line Paper in the Pigeon Hole will allow to note the string Length and an Initial start memory Location. This Location well have to change frequently as strings of different length are assigned. Instructions will tell how to do this. Theoretically a special value vbNullString is set to aid in quick checks.. But..http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/361246-vbnullstring-2.html#post44116
     Let strTest = Chr(1) & "Hi" & vbCrLf & vbTab & """u."""
     Call WtchaGot(strIn:=strTest)
    ' Call WtchaGot(Chr(1) & "Hi" & vbCrLf & vbTab & """u.""")
    End Sub

Sub WtchaGot(ByVal strIn As String)
    Rem 1  ' Output "sheet hardcopies"
    '1a) Worksheets     'Make a Temporary Sheet, if not already there, in Current Active Workbook, for a simple list of all characters
        If Not Evaluate("=ISREF(" & "'" & "WotchaGotInString" & "'!Z78)") Then '   ( the '  are not important here, but iin general allow for a space in the worksheet name like  "Wotcha Got In String"
        Dim Wb As Workbook '                                   ' ' Dim:  ' Preparing a "Pointer" to an Initial "Blue Print" in Memory of the Object ( Pigeon Hole with a bit of paper or code lines on that can be filled in to refer to a specific Objec of this type ) . This also us to get easily at the Methods and Properties throught the applying of a period ( .Dot) ( intellisense )                     '
         Set Wb = ActiveWorkbook '  '                            Set now (to Active Workbook - one being "looked at"), so that we carefull allways referrence this so as not to go astray through Excel Guessing inplicitly not the one we want...         Set: Values are filled at the memory locations and the directions there are specified in the variable "Blue Print "Pointer". In this case a Filled in Blue Print is passed.      http://www.excelforum.com/excel-programming-vba-macros/1138804-help-understanding-class-instancing-cant-set-ws-new-worksheet-intellisense-offers-it-4.html#post4387191                                '
         Wb.Worksheets.Add After:=Wb.Worksheets.Item(Worksheets.Count) 'A sheeet is added and will be Active
        Dim ws As Worksheet '
         Set ws = ActiveSheet 'Rather than rely on always going to the active sheet, we referr to it Explicitly so that we carefull allways referrence this so as not to go astray through Excel Guessing implicitly not the one we want...    Set: Values are filled at the memory locations and the directions there are specified in the variable "Blue Print "Pointer". In this case a Filled in Blue Print is passed.      http://www.excelforum.com/excel-programming-vba-macros/1138804-help-understanding-class-instancing-cant-set-ws-new-worksheet-intellisense-offers-it-4.html#post4387191            ' Values are filled at the memory locations and the directions there are specified in the variable "Blue Print "Pointer". In this case a Filled in Blue Print is passed.      http://www.excelforum.com/excel-programming-vba-macros/1138804-help-understanding-class-instancing-cant-set-ws-new-worksheet-intellisense-offers-it-4.html#post4387191
         ws.Activate: ws.Cells(1, 1).Activate ' ws.Activate and activating a cell sometimes seemed to overcome a strange error
         Let ws.Name = "WotchaGotInString"
        Else ' The worksheet is already there , so I just need to set my variable to point to it
         Set ws = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("WotchaGotInString")
        End If
    '1b) Array
    Dim myLenf As Long: Let myLenf = Len(strIn)  '            ' Long is very simple to handle, - final memory "size" type is known (123.456 and 000.001 have same "size" computer memory ) , and so a Address suggestion can be given for the next line when the variable is filled in.  '( Long is a Big whole Number limit (-2,147,483,648 to 2,147,483,647) If you need some sort of validation the value should only be within the range of a Byte/Integer otherwise there's no point using anything but Long.--upon/after 32-bit, Integers (Short) need converted internally anyways, so a Long is actually faster. )       https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/803662-byte-backward-loop-4.html
    Dim arrWotchaGot() As String: ReDim arrWotchaGot(1 To myLenf + 1, 1 To 2) ' +1 for header  Array for the output 2 column list.  The type is known and the size,  but I must use this ReDim  method simply because the dim statement  Dim( , )  is complie time thing and will only take actual numbers
     Let arrWotchaGot(1, 1) = Format(Now, "DD MMM YYYY") & vbLf & "Lenf is   " & myLenf: Let arrWotchaGot(1, 2) = Left(strIn, 20)
    Rem 2  String anylaysis
    'Dim myLenf As Long: Let myLenf = Len(strIn)
    Dim Cnt As Long
        For Cnt = 1 To myLenf ' ===Main Loop========================================================================
        ' Character analysis: Get at each character
        Dim Caracter As Variant ' String is probably OK.
        Let Caracter = Mid(strIn, Cnt, 1) ' '    the character in strIn at position from the left of length 1
        '2a) The character added to a single  WotchaGot  long character string to look at and possibly use in coding
        Dim WotchaGot As String ' This will be used to make a string that I can easilly see and also is in a form that I can copy and paste in a code line  required to build the full string of the complete character string
            '2a)(i) Most common characters and numbers to be displayed as "seen normally" ' -------2a)(i)--
            If Caracter Like "[A-Z]" Or Caracter Like "[0-9]" Or Caracter Like "[a-z]" Then ' Check for normal characters
            Let WotchaGot = WotchaGot & """" & Caracter & """" & " & " ' This will give the sort of output that I need to write in a code line, so for example if I have a123 , this code line will be used 4 times and give like a final string for me to copy of   "a" & "1" & "2" & "3" &      I would phsically need to write in code  like  strVar = "a" & "1" & "2" & "3"   -  i could of course also write  = "a123"   but the point of this routine is to help me pick out each individual element
            Else ' Some other things that I would like to "see" normally - not "normal simple character" - or by a VBA constant, like vbCr vbLf  vbTab
             Select Case Caracter ' 2a)(ii)_1
              Case " "
               Let WotchaGot = WotchaGot & """" & " " & """" & " & "
              Case "!"
               Let WotchaGot = WotchaGot & """" & "!" & """" & " & "
              Case "$"
               Let WotchaGot = WotchaGot & """" & "$" & """" & " & "
              Case "%"
               Let WotchaGot = WotchaGot & """" & "%" & """" & " & "
              Case "~"
               Let WotchaGot = WotchaGot & """" & "~" & """" & " & "
              Case "&"
               Let WotchaGot = WotchaGot & """" & "&" & """" & " & "
              Case "("
               Let WotchaGot = WotchaGot & """" & "(" & """" & " & "
              Case ")"
               Let WotchaGot = WotchaGot & """" & ")" & """" & " & "
              Case "/"
               Let WotchaGot = WotchaGot & """" & "/" & """" & " & "
              Case "\"
               Let WotchaGot = WotchaGot & """" & "\" & """" & " & "
              Case "="
               Let WotchaGot = WotchaGot & """" & "=" & """" & " & "
              Case "?"
               Let WotchaGot = WotchaGot & """" & "?" & """" & " & "
              Case "'"
               Let WotchaGot = WotchaGot & """" & "'" & """" & " & "
              Case "+"
               Let WotchaGot = WotchaGot & """" & "+" & """" & " & "
              Case "-"
               Let WotchaGot = WotchaGot & """" & "-" & """" & " & "
              Case "_"
               Let WotchaGot = WotchaGot & """" & "_" & """" & " & "
              Case "."
               Let WotchaGot = WotchaGot & """" & "." & """" & " & "
    '          Case " "
    '           Let WotchaGot = WotchaGot & """" & " " & """" & " & "
    '          Case " "
    '          Case " "
    '          Case " "
    '          Case " "
    '          Case " "
    Last edited by DocAElstein; 02-08-2019 at 02:03 AM.
    ….If you are my competitor, I will try all I can to beat you. But if I do, I will not belittle you. I will Salute you, because without you, I am nothing.
    If you are my enemy, we will try to kick the fucking shit out of you…..
    Winston Churchill, 1939
    Save your Forum..._
    _...KILL A MODERATOR!!

This is the second part of the coding from the last post

This should be copied and pasted directly under the coding from the last post

Code:
    '          Case " "
    '          Case " "
    '          Case " "
    '          Case " "
    '          Case " "
    '          Case " "
    '          Case " "
    '          Case " "
    '          Case " "
    '                   ' 2a)(ii)_2
    '          Case " "
    '          Case " "
              Case vbCr
               Let WotchaGot = WotchaGot & "vbCr & "  ' I actuall would write manually in this case like     vbCr &
              Case vbLf
               Let WotchaGot = WotchaGot & "vbLf & "
              Case vbCrLf
               Let WotchaGot = WotchaGot & "vbCrLf & "
              Case """"   ' This is how to get a single   "    No one is quite sure how this works.  My theory that,  is as good as any other,  is that  syntaxly   """"    or  "  """  or    """    "   are accepted.   But  in that the  """  bit is somewhat strange for VBA.   It seems to match  the first and Third " together as a  valid pair   but  the other  " in the middle of the  3 "s is also syntax OK, and does not error as    """     would  because  of the final 4th " which it syntaxly sees as a valid pair matched simultaneously as it does some similar check on the  first  and Third    as a concluding  string pair.  All is well except that  the second  "  is captured   within a   accepted  enclosing pair made up of the first and third  "   At the same time the 4th  "  is accepted as a final concluding   "   paired with the   second which it is  using but at the same time now isolated from.
               Let WotchaGot = WotchaGot & """" & """" & """" & """" & " & "                                ' The reason why  ""  ""   would not work is that    at the end of the  "" the next empty  character signalises the end of a  string pair, and only if  it saw a " would it keep checking the syntax rules which  then lead in the previous case to  the situation described above.
              Case vbTab
               Let WotchaGot = WotchaGot & "vbTab & "
              ' 2a)(iii)
                Case Else
                 WotchaGot = WotchaGot & "Chr(" & Asc(Caracter) & ")" & " & "
                'Let CaseElse = Caracter
            End Select
            End If ' End of the "normal simple character" or not ' -------2a)------Ended-----------
        '2b)  A 2 column Array for convenience of a list
         Let arrWotchaGot(Cnt + 1, 1) = Cnt & "           " & Caracter: Let arrWotchaGot(Cnt + 1, 2) = Asc(Caracter) ' +1 for header
        Next Cnt ' ========Main Loop=================================================================================
        If WotchaGot <> "" Then Let WotchaGot = Left(WotchaGot, Len(WotchaGot) - 3) ' take off last " & "    ( 2 spaces one either side of a  & )
    Rem 3 Output
    '3a) String
    MsgBox prompt:=WotchaGot: Debug.Print WotchaGot ' Hit Ctrl+g from the VB Editor to get a copyable version of the entire string
    '3b) List
    Dim NxtClm As Long: Let NxtClm = 1 ' In conjunction with next  If  this prevents the first column beine taken as 0 for an empty worksheet
     If Not ws.Range("A1").Value = "" Then Let NxtClm = ws.Cells.Item(1, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column + 1
     Let ws.Cells.Item(1, NxtClm).Resize(UBound(arrWotchaGot(), 1), UBound(arrWotchaGot(), 2)).Value = arrWotchaGot()
    End Sub
    '
    ….If you are my competitor, I will try all I can to beat you. But if I do, I will not belittle you. I will Salute you, because without you, I am nothing.
    Winston Churchill, 1939
    Save your Forum..._
    _...KILL A MODERATOR!!

Simple Array Bubble Sort Example with Range.Sort Equivalent

Coding in support of this excelfox Thread:
    llkslksjjsjfaslkjflkajflkjflfjj later sajfsladj

Code:
    Option Explicit

'
    ' Range.Sort Example
    Sub RangeSortExample()
     range("G13:K19").Sort Key1:=range("G13:K19").Columns("B:B"), Order1:=xlAscending, Key2:=range("G13:K19").Columns("D:D"), order2:=xlAscending, MatchCase:=False, Key3:=range("G13:K19").Columns("E:E"), order3:=xlDescending, MatchCase:=False
    End Sub ' Matchcase:=False '

' Simplist Sort
    Sub SimpleArraySort()
    Rem 0 test data, worksheets info
    Dim WsS As Worksheet: Set WsS = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sorting")
    Dim RngToSort As range: Set RngToSort = WsS.range("A2:B9")
    ' alternative:
    ' Set RngToSort = Selection '                          ' Selection.JPG : https://imgur.com/HnCdBt8
    Dim arrTS() As Variant: Let arrTS() = RngToSort.Value ' We would have to use  .Value  for a range capture of this sort because  .Value  returns a field of Variant types.  But also at this stage we want to preserve string and number types
    Dim arrOut() As Variant: Let arrOut() = arrTS() ' could simply use the original array and sort that
    ' column to be used for determining order of rows sorted array: the values in this column will be looked at
    Dim Clm As Long: Let Clm = 1
    Rem 1 Simple Bubble Sort
    Dim rOuter As Long ' ========"Left Hand"=====================Outer Loop=====================================
        For rOuter = 1 To UBound(arrTS(), 1) - 1 ' For row 1 to the (last row -1)  last row, given by the first dimension upper limit of the array
        Dim rInner As Long ' -------Inner Loop-------------"Right Hand"--------------------------
            For rInner = rOuter + 1 To UBound(arrOut(), 1)
                'If arrOut(rOuter, Clm) > arrOut(rInner, Clm) Then           ' This means that I am bigger than the next. So I will swap . I keep doing this which will have the effect of putting the smallest in the current rOuter. By the this and all next rOuter, I miss out the last, and any previous, which means I effectively do the same which puts the next smallest in this next rOuter.
                If UCase(CStr(arrOut(rOuter, Clm))) > UCase(CStr(arrOut(rInner, Clm))) Then
                Dim Temp As Variant ' I want to Swap those 2 above - I cant easilly in any coding change two values simulataneosly. So one of them Element values will put in this temporary place. This Element Values will then be given the other. Finally the other Element will be given this temporary value
                Dim Clms As Long '-------| with the condition met  a loop is done for all columns in the array in which those two values used in the comparison are replaced at each column
                    For Clms = 1 To UBound(arrOut(), 2)
                     Let Temp = arrOut(rOuter, Clms): Let arrOut(rOuter, Clms) = arrOut(rInner, Clms): Let arrOut(rInner, Clms) = Temp
                    Next Clms '----------| for each column in the array at the two rows rOuter and rInner
                Else
                End If
            Next rInner ' ---------------------------------------------------------------------
        Next rOuter ' ===========================================================================================
    Rem 2 Output for easy of demo
     RngToSort.Offset(0, RngToSort.Columns.Count).Clear                     ' WsS.Columns("C:D").Clear ' CHANGE TO SUIT
     Let RngToSort.Offset(0, RngToSort.Columns.Count).Value = arrOut
     Let RngToSort.Offset(0, RngToSort.Columns.Count).Interior.Color = vbYellow
    End Sub
    ' Approximate equivalent to the above routune, using VBA Range.Sort Method '  https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/office/vba/api/excel.range.sort
    Sub Range_Sort()
    ' alternative:
    ' Set RngToSort = Selection '                          ' Selection.JPG : https://imgur.com/HnCdBt8
    Rem 1 For demo purposes we will sort a copy of the range
     RngToSort.Offset(0, RngToSort.Columns.Count * 2).Clear                                                ' WsS.Columns("E:F").Clear ' CHANGE TO SUIT
     RngToSort.Copy Destination:=RngToSort.Offset(0, RngToSort.Columns.Count * 2)
     Dim RngCopy As range: Set RngCopy = RngToSort.Offset(0, RngToSort.Columns.Count * 2)
     RngCopy.Sort Key1:=RngCopy.Columns("A:A"), Order1:=xlAscending, MatchCase:=False
    '
     Let RngCopy.Interior.Color = vbGreen
    End Sub
    Typical results:
    The sorted array is displayed in the spreadsheet along side the original range used as test data for the inputted array. ( The yellow highlighted range is that produced by the array sort routine, Sub SimpleArraySort() , and the green highlighted range is that produced by the VBA Range.Sort method routine, Sub Range_Sort()
    More examples in next post.

_____ ( Using Excel 2007 32 bit )
    Row\Col
    A
    B
    C
    D
    E
    F
    G
    c WasB2 A WasB5 A WasB5
    AB WasB3 Aa WasB4 Aa WasB4
    Aa WasB4 AB WasB3 AB WasB3
    A WasB5 B WasB7 B WasB7
    C WasB6 b WasB8 b WasB8
    B WasB7 bcde WasB9 bcde WasB9
    b WasB8 C WasB6 c WasB2
    bcde WasB9 c WasB2 C WasB6
    Worksheet: Sorting
    Last edited by DocAElstein; 02-19-2019 at 03:22 PM.
    Winston Churchill, 1939
    Save your Forum..._
    _...KILL A MODERATOR!!

Further Examples using the routines from the previous post
    The sorted array is displayed in the spreadsheet along side the original range used as test data for the inputted array. ( The yellow highlighted range is that produced by the array sort routine, Sub SimpleArraySort() , and the green highlighted range is that produced by the VBA Range.Sort method routine, Sub Range_Sort()

Row\Col
    A
    B
    C
    D
    E
    F
    G
    c WasB2
    WasB8
    WasB7
    AB WasB3
    WasB7
    WasB8
    Aa WasB4 A WasB5 A WasB5
    A WasB5 Aa WasB4 Aa WasB4
    C WasB6 AB WasB3 AB WasB3
    WasB7 bcde WasB9 bcde WasB9
    WasB8 C WasB6 c WasB2

To reverse this to descending so that things “get smaller as you go down the rows”, you simply need to change
    the > to a < in the array routine
    and
    the Order1:=xlAscending to Order1:=xlDescending in the VBA Range.Sort routine
    Row\Col
    A
    B
    C
    D
    E
    F
    G
    c WasB2 c WasB2 c WasB2
    AB WasB3 C WasB6 C WasB6
    Aa WasB4 bcde WasB9 bcde WasB9
    A WasB5 AB WasB3 AB WasB3
    C WasB6 Aa WasB4 Aa WasB4
    WasB7 A WasB5 A WasB5
    WasB8
    WasB7
    WasB8
    bcde WasB9
    WasB8
    WasB7

I intended developing the solution into a function, so as a start to this, the routine will be modified to take an Optional argument of 0 or 1 , with the default of 0 being the case for an Ascending list. I am not being particularly efficient with the coding, and will duplicate sections.

A full routine is posted in the next post
    Last edited by DocAElstein; 02-19-2019 at 10:44 PM.
    Winston Churchill, 1939
    Save your Forum..._
    _...KILL A MODERATOR!!

Simpla Array Bubble Sort Program allowing for Ascending or Descending order

The last routine, Sub TestieSimpleArraySort(), has a section dupilcated to allow for selection of a final list sorted in Ascending or descending order.
    If supplied 0, or , no GlLl argument is given, then the final list should be sorted in Ascending order

Code:
    ' Simplist Sort2
    Sub TestieSimpleArraySort2()
     Call SimpleArraySort2(0)
    End Sub
    '
    Sub SimpleArraySort2(Optional ByVal GlLl As Long)
    ' alternative:
    Dim arrTS() As Variant: Let arrTS() = RngToSort.Value ' We would have to use  .Value  for a range capture of this sort because  .Value  returns a field of Variant types.  But also at this stage we want to preserve string and number types
    Dim arrOut() As Variant: Let arrOut() = arrTS() ' could simply use the original array and sort that
    ' column to be used for determining order of rows sorted array: the values in this column will be looked at
    Rem 1 Simple Bubble Sort
    Dim rOuter As Long ' ========"Left Hand"=====================Outer Loop=====================================
        For rOuter = 1 To UBound(arrTS(), 1) - 1 ' For row 1 to the (last row -1)  last row, given by the first dimension upper limit of the array
        Dim rInner As Long ' -------Inner Loop-------------"Right Hand"--------------------------
                'If arrOut(rOuter, Clm) > arrOut(rInner, Clm) Then           ' This means that I am bigger than the next. So I will swap . I keep doing this which will have the effect of putting the smallest in the current rOuter. By the this and all next rOuter, I miss out the last, and any previous, which means I effectively do the same which puts the next smallest in this next rOuter.
                If GlLl = 0 Then ' We want Ascending list
                    'If UCase(CStr(arrOut(rOuter, Clm))) > UCase(CStr(arrOut(rInner, Clm))) Then
                    Dim temp As Variant ' I want to Swap those 2 above - I cant easilly in any coding change two values simulataneosly. So one of them Element values will put in this temporary place. This Element Values will then be given the other. Finally the other Element will be given this temporary value
                    Dim Clms As Long '-------| with the condition met  a loop is done for all columns in the array in which those two values used in the comparison are replaced at each column
                         Let temp = arrOut(rOuter, Clms): Let arrOut(rOuter, Clms) = arrOut(rInner, Clms): Let arrOut(rInner, Clms) = temp
                        Next Clms '----------| for each column in the array at the two rows rOuter and rInner
                    Else
                    End If
                Else ' GlLl is not 0 , so presumably we want Descending list
                    If UCase(CStr(arrOut(rOuter, Clm))) < UCase(CStr(arrOut(rInner, Clm))) Then
                    'Dim temp As Variant ' I want to Swap those 2 above - I cant easilly in any coding change two values simulataneosly. So one of them Element values will put in this temporary place. This Element Values will then be given the other. Finally the other Element will be given this temporary value
                    'Dim Clms As Long '-------| with the condition met  a loop is done for all columns in the array in which those two values used in the comparison are replaced at each column
                         Let temp = arrOut(rOuter, Clms): Let arrOut(rOuter, Clms) = arrOut(rInner, Clms): Let arrOut(rInner, Clms) = temp
                    Else
                    End If
                End If ' End of Ascending or Descending example
            Next rInner ' ---------------------------------------------------------------------
        Next rOuter ' ===========================================================================================
     RngToSort.Offset(0, RngToSort.Columns.Count).Clear                     ' WsS.Columns("C:D").Clear ' CHANGE TO SUIT
     Let RngToSort.Offset(0, RngToSort.Columns.Count).Value = arrOut()
    End Sub

Results for this callind procedure
    Code:
     Call SimpleArraySort2(0)
     Call SimpleArraySort
    End Sub
    '
    Row\Col
    A
    B
    C
    D
    c WasB2
    WasB8
    AB WasB3
    WasB7
    Aa WasB4 A WasB5
    A WasB5 Aa WasB4
    C WasB6 AB WasB3
    WasB7 bcde WasB9
    WasB8 C WasB6
    bcde WasB9 c WasB2

Results for this calling procedure
    Code:
     Call SimpleArraySort2(732847)
    End Sub
    '
    Row\Col
    A
    B
    C
    D
    c WasB2 c WasB2
    AB WasB3 C WasB6
    Aa WasB4 bcde WasB9
    A WasB5 AB WasB3
    C WasB6 Aa WasB4
    WasB7 A WasB5
    WasB8
    WasB7
    bcde WasB9
    WasB8
    Last edited by DocAElstein; 02-19-2019 at 10:57 PM.
    Winston Churchill, 1939
    Save your Forum..._
    _...KILL A MODERATOR!!

Simple Array Bubble Sort Example working similar to VBA Range.Sort with one Key1:=

A further modification is done to the previous routines so that values that can be seen as numbers are compared as numbers in sorting. This is done so that, for example, a number like 46 would be seen as greater than 7. In previous routines, these would be compared as text values of "46" and "7". In a text comparison, the sort is done initially on the first character so that "4" would be seen as less that "7". ( The second character, "6", in this exampple is not used. A second character would only be used to sort if we had two values such as "46" and "49". In such an example VBA would place "49" above "46" for a text comparison

We find that the VBA Range.Sort Method sees text as text and numbers typically as numbers , and the final purpose of the routines we are developing in the associated main forum Thread is to do somethhing similar to the VBA Range.Sort Method

Code:
    '
    ' Simplist Sort3
    Sub TestieSimpleArraySort3()
     Call SimpleArraySort3(0)
    End Sub
    '
    Sub SimpleArraySort3(Optional ByVal GlLl As Long)
    ' alternative:
    Rem 1 Simple Bubble Sort
                    If IsNumeric(arrOut(rOuter, Clm)) And IsNumeric(arrOut(rInner, Clm)) Then ' Numeric case
                        'If arrOut(rOuter, Clm) > arrOut(rInner, Clm) Then' If both values are seen to be numeric then this line would probably work, but as "belt and braces" we do the next
                        If CDbl(arrOut(rOuter, Clm)) > CDbl(arrOut(rInner, Clm)) Then
                        Dim temp As Variant ' I want to Swap those 2 above - I cant easilly in any coding change two values simulataneosly. So one of them Element values will put in this temporary place. This Element Values will then be given the other. Finally the other Element will be given this temporary value
                        Else
                        End If
                     Else ' Non numeric case
                        'Dim temp As Variant ' I want to Swap those 2 above - I cant easilly in any coding change two values simulataneosly. So one of them Element values will put in this temporary place. This Element Values will then be given the other. Finally the other Element will be given this temporary value
                        'Dim Clms As Long '-------| with the condition met  a loop is done for all columns in the array in which those two values used in the comparison are replaced at each column
                        Else
                        End If
                    End If ' End of numeric or text comparison
                    If IsNumeric(arrOut(rOuter, Clm)) And IsNumeric(arrOut(rInner, Clm)) Then
                        If CDbl(arrOut(rOuter, Clm)) < CDbl(arrOut(rInner, Clm)) Then
                        Else
                        End If
                    Else ' non numeric case
                        Else
                        End If
    End Sub
    Final comparison results are shown in the next post
    Winston Churchill, 1939
    Save your Forum..._
    _...KILL A MODERATOR!!

The sorted array is displayed in the spreadsheet along side the original range used as test data for the inputted array. ( The yellow highlighted range is that produced by the array sort routine, Sub SimpleArraySort3() , and the green highlighted range is that produced by the VBA Range.Sort method routine, Sub Range_Sort()

Ascending Order
    Code:
     Call SimpleArraySort3(0)
    End Sub
    '
    Code:
    Sub Range_Sort()
    ' alternative:
     RngToSort.Offset(0, RngToSort.Columns.Count * 2).Clear                                                ' WsS.Columns("E:F").Clear ' CHANGE TO SUIT
     Dim RngCopy As range: Set RngCopy = RngToSort.Offset(0, RngToSort.Columns.Count * 2)
     RngCopy.Sort Key1:=RngCopy.Columns("A:A"), Order1:=xlAscending, MatchCase:=False
     'RngCopy.Sort Key1:=RngCopy.Columns("A:A"), Order1:=xlDescending, MatchCase:=False
    End Sub
    Row\Col
    A
    B
    C
    D
    E
    F
    G
    c WasB2
    WasB7
    WasB7
    AB WasB3
    WasB8
    WasB8
    Aa WasB4 A WasB5 A WasB5
    A WasB5 Aa WasB4 Aa WasB4
    C WasB6 AB WasB3 AB WasB3
    WasB7 bcde WasB9 bcde WasB9
    WasB8 C WasB6 c WasB2

Descending Order
    Code:
     Call SimpleArraySort3(2246)
    End Sub
    '
    Code:
    Sub Range_Sort()
    ' alternative:
     'RngCopy.Sort Key1:=RngCopy.Columns("A:A"), Order1:=xlAscending, MatchCase:=False
     RngCopy.Sort Key1:=RngCopy.Columns("A:A"), Order1:=xlDescending, MatchCase:=False
    End Sub
    Row\Col
    A
    B
    C
    D
    E
    F
    G
    c WasB2 c WasB2 c WasB2
    AB WasB3 C WasB6 C WasB6
    Aa WasB4 bcde WasB9 bcde WasB9
    A WasB5 AB WasB3 AB WasB3
    C WasB6 Aa WasB4 Aa WasB4
    WasB7 A WasB5 A WasB5
    WasB8
    WasB8
    WasB8
    bcde WasB9
    WasB7
    WasB7
    Winston Churchill, 1939
    Save your Forum..._
    _...KILL A MODERATOR!!

First step in turning Bubble Sort routine into function. Routine takes in an Array (ByRef) to sort

Code:
    '
    Sub TestieSimpleArraySort4()
    Dim RngToSort As Range: Set RngToSort = WsS.Range("A2:B9")
     Call SimpleArraySort4(arrTS(), 0)
    End Sub

Sub SimpleArraySort4(ByRef arrTS() As Variant, Optional ByVal GlLl As Long)
    ' alternative:
    ' Dim arrTS() As Variant: Let arrTS() = RngToSort.Value ' We would have to use  .Value  for a range capture of this sort because  .Value  returns a field of Variant types.  But also at this stage we want to preserve string and number types
    Rem 1 Simple Bubble Sort
                    If IsNumeric(arrOut(rOuter, Clm)) And IsNumeric(arrOut(rInner, Clm)) Then ' Numeric case
                        If CDbl(arrOut(rOuter, Clm)) > CDbl(arrOut(rInner, Clm)) Then
                        Else
                        End If
                     Else ' Non numeric case
                        Else
                        End If
                    If IsNumeric(arrOut(rOuter, Clm)) And IsNumeric(arrOut(rInner, Clm)) Then
                        If CDbl(arrOut(rOuter, Clm)) < CDbl(arrOut(rInner, Clm)) Then
                        Else
                        End If
                    Else ' non numeric case
                        Else
                        End If
     RngToSort.Offset(0, RngToSort.Columns.Count).Clear
    End Sub
    Last edited by DocAElstein; 02-22-2019 at 06:59 PM.

Because we are using ByRef , the previous testieing Calling routine can also use the original supplied array, arrTS() , after the main procedure Call , provided that the array taken in at the signature line is that sorted, as that will in effect be the same array and it will reflect the changes done to it.

Pseudo code ByRef ‘ ( Usually default option )
    varMyArray = x
    _ Call ReferToIt(varMyArray)
    Sub ReferToIt(ByRef arr)
    _ arr=y This is similar to saying varMyArray = y
    End

varMyArray is now = y ‘ because effectively varMyArray was in arr

Code:
    '
    Sub TestieSimpleArraySort4b()
     Call SimpleArraySort4b(arrTS(), 0)
     Let RngToSort.Offset(0, RngToSort.Columns.Count).Value = arrTS()
    End Sub

Sub SimpleArraySort4b(ByRef arsRef() As Variant, Optional ByVal GlLl As Long)
    Rem 1 Simple Bubble Sort
        For rOuter = 1 To UBound(arsRef(), 1) - 1 ' For row 1 to the (last row -1)  last row, given by the first dimension upper limit of the array
            For rInner = rOuter + 1 To UBound(arsRef(), 1)
                    If IsNumeric(arsRef(rOuter, Clm)) And IsNumeric(arsRef(rInner, Clm)) Then ' Numeric case
                        If CDbl(arsRef(rOuter, Clm)) > CDbl(arsRef(rInner, Clm)) Then
                        Dim Temp As Variant ' I want to Swap those 2 above - I cant easilly in any coding change two values simulataneosly. So one of them Element values will put in this temporary place. This Element Values will then be given the other. Finally the other Element will be given this temporary value
                            For Clms = 1 To UBound(arsRef(), 2)
                             Let Temp = arsRef(rOuter, Clms): Let arsRef(rOuter, Clms) = arsRef(rInner, Clms): Let arsRef(rInner, Clms) = Temp
                        Else
                        End If
                     Else ' Non numeric case
                        If UCase(CStr(arsRef(rOuter, Clm))) > UCase(CStr(arsRef(rInner, Clm))) Then
                             Let Temp = arsRef(rOuter, Clms): Let arsRef(rOuter, Clms) = arsRef(rInner, Clms): Let arsRef(rInner, Clms) = Temp
                        Else
                        End If
                    If IsNumeric(arsRef(rOuter, Clm)) And IsNumeric(arsRef(rInner, Clm)) Then
                        If CDbl(arsRef(rOuter, Clm)) < CDbl(arsRef(rInner, Clm)) Then
                        Else
                        End If
                    Else ' non numeric case
                        If UCase(CStr(arsRef(rOuter, Clm))) < UCase(CStr(arsRef(rInner, Clm))) Then
                        Else
                        End If
    End Sub
    Last edited by DocAElstein; 03-10-2019 at 12:43 PM.

Initial Function for Simple Bubble Sort

In the routines
    Sub TestieSimpleArraySort5() and Function SimpleArraySort5(______) As Variant
    below , the main difference over the previous routines is the extra As Variant at the signature line, and finally a code line just before End Function of SimpleArraySort5 = arsRef()

In the testieing routine, we use codes line of this form in the conventional way in which a function is typically used.
    _ arrTS() = SimpleArraySort5(arrTS(), _ 0 _ )
    But we note that by virtue of using ByRef a simple call would surfice
    _Call SimpleArraySort5(arrTS(), _ 0 _ )

Note: we have added an extra testing code section '2b)
    In this extra section we fill a new array, arrDesc() , with the sorted array in Descending order. We use for demo purposes a typical function using code line
    _ arrDesc() = SimpleArraySort5(arrTS(), 2136)
    Correspondingly we have a demo output giving code line
    _ RngToSort.Offset(0, RngToSort.Columns.Count * 3).Value = arrDesc()

We note further, that this is somewhat redundant. This is because the code part SimpleArraySort5(arrTS(), 2136) has the effect of re filling arrTS() with the newly sorted array by virtue of the use of ByRef in the signature line of the Function
    We could therefore simply use a code line like _..
    _Call SimpleArraySort5(arrTS(), 357)
    _.. followed by an demo output giving line of
    _ RngToSort.Offset(0, RngToSort.Columns.Count * 3).Value = arrTS()

Code:
    Sub TestieSimpleArraySort5()
     Call SimpleArraySort5(arrTS(), 0)
     Let arrTS() = SimpleArraySort5(arrTS(), 0)
    ' 2a) Ascending
     Let RngToSort.Offset(0, RngToSort.Columns.Count).Value = arrTS()
    ' 2b) Descending ( using diiffernet variable )
    Dim arrDesc() As Variant
     Let arrDesc() = SimpleArraySort5(arrTS(), 2136)
     RngToSort.Offset(0, RngToSort.Columns.Count * 3).Clear
     Let RngToSort.Offset(0, RngToSort.Columns.Count * 3).Value = arrDesc()
     Let RngToSort.Offset(0, RngToSort.Columns.Count * 3).Value = arrTS() ' Because we use  ByRef  this would work after any normal  Call  of SimpleArraySort5(arrTS(),  )  The actual call we use  puts  the sorted array in arrTS()  The important bit is  SimpleArraySort5(arrTS(),  )  After this  arrTS()  with the newly sorted array by virtue of the use of ByRe in the signature line of this Function   has the effect of refilling  arrTS()  with the newly sorted in descending order values
     Let RngToSort.Offset(0, RngToSort.Columns.Count * 3).Interior.Color = vbYellow
    End Sub

Function SimpleArraySort5(ByRef arsRef() As Variant, Optional ByVal GlLl As Long) As Variant
    Rem 1 Simple Bubble Sort
        For rOuter = 1 To UBound(arsRef(), 1) - 1 ' For row 1 to the (last row -1)  last row, given by the first dimension upper limit of the array
            For rInner = rOuter + 1 To UBound(arsRef(), 1)
                    If IsNumeric(arsRef(rOuter, Clm)) And IsNumeric(arsRef(rInner, Clm)) Then ' Numeric case
                        If CDbl(arsRef(rOuter, Clm)) > CDbl(arsRef(rInner, Clm)) Then
                        Else
                        End If
                     Else ' Non numeric case
                        If UCase(CStr(arsRef(rOuter, Clm))) > UCase(CStr(arsRef(rInner, Clm))) Then
                        Else
                        End If
                    If IsNumeric(arsRef(rOuter, Clm)) And IsNumeric(arsRef(rInner, Clm)) Then
                        If CDbl(arsRef(rOuter, Clm)) < CDbl(arsRef(rInner, Clm)) Then
                        Else
                        End If
                    Else ' non numeric case
                        If UCase(CStr(arsRef(rOuter, Clm))) < UCase(CStr(arsRef(rInner, Clm))) Then
                        Else
                        End If
     Let SimpleArraySort5 = arsRef()
    End Function

In the next post are some typical test results for the above coding
    Last edited by DocAElstein; 02-22-2019 at 06:59 PM.