Thread: Self-Learn Excel VBA

Self-Learn Excel VBA

Hi,

I am new to VBA macros. I know a bit of Excel, but would like to learn VBA. I have a few PDFs from the internet, but it seems a little too advanced. Please suggest how can I learn VBA.

Hi Meghna,

Welcome to ExcelFox community.

Start recording macros, and perform actions in the excel spreadsheet.The macro recorder will record macro. A lot of the lines may be superfluous, but you'll get a general perspective of how macro works. Slowly, you'll learn to read and differentiate between lines that actually do the task, and the superfluous ones.

As an example, I recorded my action. I typed in a few lines is what I did.
    Code:
    Sub Macro1()

Range("B3").Select
        ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = _
            "I am recording a macro to understand what the macro recorder records."
        Range("B4").Select
            "OK, I'll now write another text. I wonder what the macro recorder would have recorded now."
        Range("B5").Select
        ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "Oh well, been years since I did something like this."
        Range("D3").Select
            "Ok, just for the sake of it, I've scrolled to the right a bit and moved up to cell D3, to type this text."
        Range("D4").Select

End Sub
    Now, a lot of those lines are superfluous. I could rewrite it like so.
    Code:
    Sub Macro2()

Range("B3").Resize(3, 1).Value = _
        Array("I am recording a macro to understand what the macro recorder records.", _
        "OK, I'll now write another text. I wonder what the macro recorder would have recorded now.", _
        "Oh well, been years since I did something like this.")
        Range("D3").Value = "Ok, just for the sake of it, I've scrolled to the right a bit and moved up to cell D3, to type this text."

End Sub
    So you see, just record macro, and eventually, the macro will teach you a lot of the syntax. Based on your understanding of how things work, you can then reduce the lines of code as I have did above.

Note: Since Excel 2007 Chart actions are not recorded, and I can assure you a lot of others aren't (for reasons I do not want to pretend I know), if you want to go the learning path by recording, I recommend Excel 97-2003, or Excel 2010.
    A dream is not something you see when you are asleep, but something you strive for when you are awake.

It's usually a bad idea to say that something can't be done.

The difference between dream and aim, is that one requires soundless sleep to see and the other requires sleepless efforts to achieve

Join us at Facebook