Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Create subroutine VBA to replace keyword in a column

Create subroutine VBA to replace keyword in a column

It has become too time consuming to simply use the find and replace method as there are probably 100+ combinations of words that need to be found and shortened or changed when information has been copied and pasted into the worksheet page. Here is an example of what I am looking to do.

Run a subroutine once all the information has been manually imported / copied and pasted from a word document into the excel sheet "Initiating Devices"
    Column (B) Is the type column. When the information is originally pasted the words are too long or need to be changed to make the countif statements on another page to work, and to fit in the cell.

Example
    Smoke Detector would be replaced with "Photo"
    Pull Station "Pull"
    Heat Detector "Heat"
    etc.......
    The list could go on for a while. I have been manually using the find and replace method but it has been a slow process and not only that but I sometimes need to search for several words to replace the same word.
    for example
    Manual Station, Pull Station, Pull Box, Emergency Station, ...etc is all replaced with "PULL"
    The problem was that originally there was no set format and the inspectors simply wrote whatever they wanted. Now I am restricting it to a drop down list, but I still need to convert all the old data into the new sheets.

So the sub would look for a word
    "Smoke Detector" in column B and replace it with "Photo" for all occurrences it would find on the page. If possible could it also search for "Photo Detector", "PS,PD or other combination. I tried using the record macro method but it doesn't work the way it should and usually results in an error when run. Thanks. If someone can just get me started I can write the tons of other replacements needed later. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by william516 View Post
    *snip*
    How about something like this:

Code:
    Dim rows As Integer
    Dim i As Integer

i = 1
        Range("B1").Activate
        rows = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.rows.Count
        Application.ScreenUpdating = False
            Do

'''Find requirements for Photo
                If ActiveCell.Value = "Photo Detector" Or ActiveCell.Value = "PS" Or ActiveCell.Value = "PD" Then
                    ActiveCell.Value = "Photo"
                    ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Activate

'''Find requirements for Pull
                ElseIf ActiveCell.Value = "Manual Station" Or ActiveCell.Value = "Pull Station" Or ActiveCell.Value = "Pull Box" Then
                    ActiveCell.Value = "Pull"

'''No requirements met, so move to next cell
                Else
                End If

i = i + 1

Loop Until i > rows

Range("B1").Activate
    I'm still pretty new at this stuff myself. A more senior coder could probably come up with a better solution, but this should work.

Hi

Please find attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Cheers !

Excel Range to BBCode Table
    Use Social Networking Tools If You Like the Answers !

Message to Cross Posters

@ Home - Office 2010/2013/2016 on Win 10 (64 bit); @ Work - Office 2016 on Win 10 (64 bit)

Wow you guys are awesome. Both things look pretty good. Can the person that posted the file above please explain how this works. I think I understand but im not 100% sure. So better to ask then screw it up.

I'm assuming that I would create another page and that would become the table for the replacements as I see in your example.

Column "G' "Searchwhat would be the keywords to look for example "smoke detector" or "Duct Detector"
    Column "h" "replacewith" would be the words that it would be replacing with example "Photo" or "Duct"
    Column "I" 'lookat" would be the column that the macro looks for I assume, In my page it would be column "B" or 2
    I do not understand what column "J" is for "1 whole match, 2 partial match

I also am confused on what would go in column "A" or "B" that is on your sheet

Also I assume I would just keep writing words in both columns "G" and "H" and that would be endless poss, as long as I adjust the vba code for the range.

Thanks again for all the help. I will mess with it a little. Oh I also assume I will have to make the name of the sheet change as well to suit the VBA code.

See my comments in red.

Quote Originally Posted by william516 View Post
    Wow you guys are awesome. Both things look pretty good. Can the person that posted the file above please explain how this works. I think I understand but im not 100% sure. So better to ask then screw it up.

I'm assuming that I would create another page and that would become the table for the replacements as I see in your example.

Column "G' "Searchwhat would be the keywords to look for example "smoke detector" or "Duct Detector" - Yes
    Column "h" "replacewith" would be the words that it would be replacing with example "Photo" or "Duct" - Yes
    Column "I" 'lookat" would be the column that the macro looks for I assume, In my page it would be column "B" or 2 - No. If you hit CTRL+H, you see an option 'Match entire cell contents'. If it is checked, lookat - 1, and if it is not, lookat - 2
    I do not understand what column "J" is for "1 whole match, 2 partial match - (explanation of 1 and 2)

I also am confused on what would go in column "A" or "B" that is on your sheet - Sample data

Also I assume I would just keep writing words in both columns "G" and "H" and that would be endless poss, as long as I adjust the vba code for the range. - Yes

Thanks again for all the help. I will mess with it a little. Oh I also assume I will have to make the name of the sheet change as well to suit the VBA code. - Yes
    Cheers !

Excel Range to BBCode Table
    Use Social Networking Tools If You Like the Answers !

Message to Cross Posters

@ Home - Office 2010/2013/2016 on Win 10 (64 bit); @ Work - Office 2016 on Win 10 (64 bit)

If you usev the macro like this, you don't have to worry about adjusting the range for columns G and H.
    So you can keep adding words and the correct range will be selected automattically.
    Code:
    Sub kTest()

Dim MyTable, i As Long

With Worksheets(1)
            MyTable = .Range("G2:I" & .Cells(.Rows.Count, 7).End(xlUp).Row).Value2
            With .UsedRange.Columns(2)
                For i = 1 To UBound(MyTable, 1)
                    .Replace MyTable(i, 1), MyTable(i, 2), MyTable(i, 3)
                Next
            End With
        End With

End Sub

Ok I attempted to use your code that is listed directly above and I am getting an error subscript out of range. Does the table have to be located on the SAME page as the items that are being changed or can it run from its own page. Currently I have it trying to run from a page that I have called "AUTO CHANGE". The page where the VBA routine should be looking and changing things is on a page called INITIATING DEVICES. I can not have it run on the same page due to the amount of data and rows. All the columns listed in the table above would already be filled up.

Code:
    Sub kTest()

Dim MyTable, i As Long

With Worksheets(5)   'worksheet number 5 is the "INITIATING DEVICES" page
            MyTable = .Range("G2:I" & .Cells(.Rows.Count, 7).End(xlUp).Row).Value2
            With .UsedRange.Columns(2)
                For i = 1 To UBound(MyTable, 1)
                    .Replace MyTable(i, 1), MyTable(i, 2), MyTable(i, 3)
                Next
            End With
        End With

End Sub
    Listed above is what I have and the only thing I did was try to change worksheet(1) to worksheet(5) as this is where the "INITIATING DEVICES" page is found. I'm sure im doing something wrong here as it works really good on the file that I was sent. I'm also assuming that Value2 is a reference to Column 2 or (B) and that if I needed it to look other places I could change this for future ref.

Thanks again for all the help

**Edit**

I may have been wrong in my original assessment. There are a lot of possible reasons why that code wouldn't work anymore. First one being, you are using two sheets now. Hopefully, bakerman can clear it up for you.
    Last edited by testingcode; 07-24-2013 at 11:31 PM.

I've put it in a file so you can see the way things work.
    Attached Files Attached Files

*snip*

Tried fixing it myself, and came up with the exact same solution as bakerman's new code lol.
    Last edited by testingcode; 07-24-2013 at 11:59 PM.