Thread: Trying to link Excel data to a Word label template (2010)

Trying to link Excel data to a Word label template (2010)

Hey all,

I'm trying to get a label template to auto-fill with data from an excel spreadsheet. The labels are formatted so they each contain several separate text boxes. They're warning labels for chemicals, similar to this one:

I need to make these labels for an inventory of around 550 chemicals. Obviously it would be ideal if I could somehow automate at least part of this. I know how to get an excel spreadsheet linked as an object in a word file, but is there any way I could use, for example, LOOKUP or VLOOKUP functions in a text box to get this information automatically?

Thanks for any suggestions, I'm not looking forward to manually entering 550 sets of numbers, manufacturers, and names like "Trans-(1,2- Cyclohexylenenedintrilo)-tetraacetate Acid"

- K
    Last edited by K_furbs; 06-26-2013 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Grammar

The first question would be, why do you necessarily need to do this label in word? If you can keep it in Excel, you could find it more easier to update the information.
    A dream is not something you see when you are asleep, but something you strive for when you are awake.

It's usually a bad idea to say that something can't be done.

The difference between dream and aim, is that one requires soundless sleep to see and the other requires sleepless efforts to achieve

Join us at Facebook

That.... is a valid and obvious point. I could probably make a template in another sheet, right now it's just in there because of easier formatting.

What would be the easiest method of doing that? Setting up a LOOKUP formula is easy enough when I'm extending it throughout a table, but what about when there's multiple text boxes?

Well, you will need some unique key that links up each table. Either that, or keep all the information that you need per label in the same table, and when you select a specific key, the label will display all the relevant values from the cells in the corresponding row.
    A dream is not something you see when you are asleep, but something you strive for when you are awake.

It's usually a bad idea to say that something can't be done.

The difference between dream and aim, is that one requires soundless sleep to see and the other requires sleepless efforts to achieve

Join us at Facebook