PDA

View Full Version : Excel showing "Not responding"

Rasm
06-07-2011, 05:45 AM
If I do very time consuming calculations (by VBA code) - then after very little time - Excel shows "Not responding". I get around that by having a counter - and then updating my application.statusbar property with a counter in brackets - so now it no longer give me the "Not responding message". So that is all good - however after 2 hours of so the statusbar stops updating - I simply get the circular "hourglass" - I can see that the application is still running (using windows 7 - can place my mouse on the taskbar on the buttom and it shows "running") - so if I let it keep on trucking - it will eventualy finish. I also know my application is still running by using Ctrl+Break - then debug. If I force the application.statusbar - then it become active again.
Any idea how I can force the application.statusbar to remain live and not fall asleep?

Admin
06-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Hi,

A wild guess. Add DoEvents.

Excel Fox
06-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Or use

With Application
.ScreenUpdating=Not .ScreenUpdating:.ScreenUpdating=Not .ScreenUpdating
End With

Rasm
06-07-2011, 07:01 PM
I will try that thanks

Excel Fox
06-10-2011, 12:08 AM
Any updates?

Rasm
06-11-2011, 04:01 AM
Was out of town - have not tried yet - But I will for sure

Rasm
06-12-2011, 02:16 AM
Fox
Tried the screenupdating - thanks for trying - did not do the trick. I will put that on the hook - then fix it at the end of it all. I did not try the do event suggestion. I have never done a do event before.

Excel Fox
06-12-2011, 02:29 AM
You'll have to do that at the beginning and ending of the loop (if you are using one that is)

Rasm
07-05-2011, 04:58 AM
hmmm - had this working - so as long as the activesheet has focus - It keeps updating. However if I switch to i.e. my email and then come back to xl2007 - it appears to have hung up (statusbar does not update) - however if I let it continue - it does finish. Dont waste time on it - just one of Excels quirks. I think it manages memory very badly. But I do appreciate all the help. Even if I am slow at answering at times.