PDA

View Full Version : Excel Error

aarbuckle
03-12-2012, 10:39 PM
Excel worksheet that always opens with "Enable Macro". Once clicked, get error message and cannot proceed. Is there a way to save document that will not always ask to "Enable Macro"?

Rick Rothstein
03-12-2012, 11:37 PM
Excel worksheet that always opens with "Enable Macro". Once clicked, get error message and cannot proceed. Is there a way to save document that will not always ask to "Enable Macro"?
I have not done this myself, but I believe you can "sign" the workbook which, in effect, tells your version of Excel that you always trust that document, but I would not rush off to do that... I do not believe simply accepting macros can, in and of itself, ever generate an error. Rather, I believe you either have a bad formula (perhaps, as but one possibility, referencing an non-existent workbook) or workbook Open event code that is causing your error as soon as the workbook opens up. It is hard to say more without you telling us the specific error you are seeing. Once we know that, we should be able to ask additional questions in an attempt to focus in on your problem. Along with telling us the error message, it would be helpful if you could post the actual workbook so we can look inside it directly for what might be the problem.

aarbuckle
03-12-2012, 11:54 PM
Attached is the workbook. The workbook works for me but I have other users which are having problems. Could it be versions. What I would like to to see happen is (as you stated) the workbook automatically opens and the Macros automatically load.

Typically when you click on the Excel workbook, a gray page appears. A box in the middle shows three options: "Disable Macros", "Enable Macros" and "More Info". When the staff person clicks on "Enable Macros" they get an error message and cannot proceed. Normally when one clicks on "enable macros" the program opens up and they can proceed entering the data.

aarbuckle
03-13-2012, 12:26 AM
I was able to get one agency and she gave me the following information:

Her machine has Windows 7 Professional and Microsoft XL 2010.

The error message she gets is:

"Cannot run the macro VHCBC final - working file (2-21-2011)."
4.XLSM make fixed with.macro may not be available in this workbook or all macros may be disabled".

Rick Rothstein
03-13-2012, 01:00 AM
I may have over-reacted (better safe than sorry), but I deleted your attachment as it looked like it contained a real birthdate and real Social Security Number for the person you listed on the Data sheet. I have a copy of it and will look at it later (I have to go away from my computer in a few minutes), but if you want others to look at it while I am gone, please repost your workbook and use a birthday like 1/1/2012 and a Social Security Number like 123-45-6789 so we know that cannot be real. In any event, I had no trouble opening the workbook you posted... no errors at all.

aarbuckle
03-13-2012, 03:12 AM
Here is the attachment again. Added more sample data.