PDA

View Full Version : Find Merged Cells VBA

Admin
02-23-2012, 11:02 PM
Hi All,

Here is a function to find merged cells. Hope this would find useful :)

Function FindMergedCells(ByRef RangeToSearch As Range) As Range

'Krishnakumar @ ExcelFox.com
Dim dic As Object
Dim r As Long
Dim c As Long
Dim k, i As Long
Dim UB1 As Long
Dim UB2 As Long

UB1 = RangeToSearch.Rows.Count
UB2 = RangeToSearch.Columns.Count

Set dic = CreateObject("scripting.dictionary")

For r = 1 To UB1
For c = 1 To UB2
If RangeToSearch.Cells(r, c).MergeArea.Cells.Count > 1 Then
dic.Item(RangeToSearch.Cells(r, c).MergeArea.Cells.Address(0, 0)) = Empty
End If
Next
Next

If dic.Count Then
k = dic.keys
For i = LBound(k) To UBound(k)
If FindMergedCells Is Nothing Then
Set FindMergedCells = RangeToSearch.Range(CStr(k(i)))
Else
Set FindMergedCells = Union(FindMergedCells, RangeToSearch.Range(CStr(k(i))))
End If
Next
End If

End Function

and call the function like..

Sub kTest()

Dim c As Range

Set c = FindMergedCells(Range("j1:n1000"))
If Not c Is Nothing Then c.Interior.Color = 65535

End Sub

Enjoy !!

Rick Rothstein
02-24-2012, 01:32 AM
Here is a shorter, quicker (it only iterates as many times as there are merged cells) function that will return the same value as your function does, and so you would call it the same way you indicated for calling your function...

Function FindMergedCells(RangeToSearch As Variant) As Range
Dim MergedCell As Range, FirstAddress As String
If TypeName(RangeToSearch) = "String" Then Set RangeToSearch = Range(RangeToSearch)
Application.FindFormat.MergeCells = True
Set MergedCell = RangeToSearch.Find("", LookAt:=xlPart, SearchFormat:=True)
If Not MergedCell Is Nothing Then
FirstAddress = MergedCell.Address
Do
If FindMergedCells Is Nothing Then
Set FindMergedCells = MergedCell
Else
Set FindMergedCells = Union(FindMergedCells, MergedCell)
End If
Set MergedCell = RangeToSearch.Find("", After:=MergedCell, LookAt:=xlPart, SearchFormat:=True)
If MergedCell Is Nothing Then Exit Do
Loop While FirstAddress <> MergedCell.Address And Not MergedCell Is Nothing
End If
End Function

Note that my function allows the programmer to pass the argument in as either an actual range object OR the string address for a range. So, using the Set statement from example calling statement, my function could be called either this way...

Set c = FindMergedCells(Range("J1:N1000"))

or this way...

Set c = FindMergedCells("J1:N1000")

Admin
02-24-2012, 09:05 AM
Hi Rick,

I thought about the findformat method. But I think findformat was introduced in XL 2002/2003 (not sure which one).

So I thought it would be better a function whch works on all versions(not sure about XL 97 though)

Another point, if you pass a string it must be a range address, otherwise it would throw error.

I did a small test on A1:K10000 with 1169 merged areas, and the average time taken is as follows:

Ricks - 5 secs
Mine - 7 secs

Anyway thanks for posting an alternative (I would say native) method.

Rick Rothstein
02-25-2012, 02:11 AM
I thought about the findformat method. But I think findformat was introduced in XL 2002/2003 (not sure which one).

So I thought it would be better a function whch works on all versions(not sure about XL 97 though)

I only have XL2003 and XL2007 installed, plus I only came to Excel maybe 5 years ago, so I am unaware of any limitation on versions of Excel prior to XL2003. Besides, why worry about earlier versions of Excle... everyone has moved up to at least XL2003 by now, right? :)

Another point, if you pass a string it must be a range address, otherwise it would throw error.

Isn't that what functions normally do when they get passed invalid arguments? I would think it is up to the programmer to either filter out improper argument values before the function is called or to handle errors generated by the function after they are produced. Did you have something different in mind for what my function should do if the passed in String value was not a range address?

I did a small test on A1:K10000 with 1169 merged areas, and the average time taken is as follows:

Ricks - 5 secs
Mine - 7 secs

While I would always expect my function to be faster than what you posted, the percentage difference between them is highly dependent on the number of merged cells involved. Both of our routines repeatedly use the Union function for each merged cell in the range. You test with 1169 merged cells means 1169 Union operations... the Union method gets progressively slower with each new member added to it and I think 1169 of them is enough to slow things down noticeably and, as a result, hide the true difference between our codes. What times do you get if you repeat that test with, say, 5 merged areas?

Admin
02-25-2012, 03:07 PM
I know people who still use XL 2000

I have no doubt that your function is faster as it only loops only on merged areas where as mine loops on every cells. But as I said, I wrote this function keeping in mind the version compitability.