PDA

View Full Version : Using Add-Ins/XLAM files

Rasm
04-07-2011, 07:00 AM
The upload illustrates the use of an xl Add-In - It creates the Menu drop downs - with 2 nodes. So this is for somebody who has not used Add-Ins before. I have uploaded the file as an XLSM(XLS) file - that is because I find the development easier to do in that format.

After you have developed you program then the last step is to save it as an XLAM (XLA) file. However you will notice Mr Gates wants to place it in the folder he thinks is right - hehehe - that isa pain - so that is why I keep it in XLSM while in development. Anyway go ahead and save in the Gates folder (different versions of Windows saved it in different locations). Anyway - next you need to go to the Excel Options then select the add-in tab and then hook up your Add-In. If you saved it in the Gates folder - then it should show automatically. If not - just browse and hook it up.

You cannot uninstall an XLAM (XLA) - however just change the filename of the XLAM (XLA) file. Next time you open xl2007 - you are told it cannot find it and you have option to remove it.

I did save it as a xl2003 file - But I use 2007 - so I cannot say for sure it works in xl 2003.

Any comments/ suggestions are welcome - not always appreciated :rolleyes:

Excel Fox
04-07-2011, 11:27 AM
Another contribution. Cheers Rasm