PDA

View Full Version : Rounding Number to Nearest Nth Multiple

Howardc
08-12-2013, 08:30 PM
I have the following formula to round to nearest 5

=ROUND(MROUND($B$24,5)*Percentages!$B$2,0)

However i get the following asnswers

These should be

It would be appreciated if you could assist me

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/719644-rounding-values.html

Excel Fox
08-12-2013, 09:43 PM
Why don't you do an MROUND on top of the inner MROUND also?

=MROUND(MROUND($B$24,5)*Percentages!$B$2,5)

Howardc
08-12-2013, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the help, much appreciated

Rick Rothstein
08-12-2013, 10:20 PM
I have the following formula to round to nearest 5

=ROUND(MROUND($B$24,5)*Percentages!$B$2,0)

However i get the following asnswers

These should be

It would be appreciated if you could assist me

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/719644-rounding-values.html
Answers by themselves tell us nothing... so that we can see what is going on, can you tell us what values were in cells B2 and B24 when your formula gave 59 as the answer instead of 60 and when it gave 68 instead of 70 and when it gave 77 instead of 75?

As a side question... I see you cross-posted your question on the MrExcel forum... have you been having trouble staying connect on the MrExcel forum? Most of my attempts to see the MrExcel forum meet with either a forever spinning busy icon (while a "waiting for MyExcel.." message is displayed) or I get an outright "Page Not Available" error. Once, when I managed to connect with the "root" forum page, it showed 2200 visitors logged on (that is pretty much there standard average) but I could not connect with it after refreshing the webpage. That led me to think the problem was in my computer, but I have no trouble with any other forums or webpages which, of course, makes me suspect the MrExcel forum itself. Since I know you were on earlier, I figured you could tell me if you had problems with the MrExcel forum or not?

Excel Fox
08-12-2013, 11:49 PM
have you been having trouble staying connect on the MrExcel forum?I have! Not sure why though. And it only seemed to be that forum alone.

Rick Rothstein
08-13-2013, 12:01 AM
I have! Not sure why though. And it only seemed to be that forum alone.
Thanks for the confirmation. The thing that had me worried was the number of visitor to the Excel sub-forum. Sometimes when I am having trouble getting on MrExcel's Excel sub-forum, I am able to go to MrExcel's main page (www.mrexcel.com (http://www.mrexcel.com)) and from there click the "Message Forum" link and it takes me to the "root" webpage for all the sub-forums... on that root page, it showed 2000+ visitors one time, 2200+ visitors another and 1600+ a third time... that would mean those many people were successfully visiting the Excel sub-forum and yet I could not connect for anything. That is what made me start wondering if the problem was somehow in my system; but, as you said, no other websites of forums were giving me this level of problem. Anyway, if you were experiencing the same kind of problem, then it most surely is something with their forum and not my computer. Thanks again for the confirmation.

Howardc
08-13-2013, 08:06 AM
Hi Rick

I battled to access the Mr Excel.com site and could not post the link that I had cross posted

I see this morning that someone has repllied, but nevertheless please find my attachment

Excel Fox
08-13-2013, 09:30 AM
That certainly didn't need the formula I posted above. This should do

=MROUND($B$1*Percentages!B2,5)

Howardc
08-13-2013, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the help, much appreciated